Scegli la risposta corretta alle domande seguenti fra quelle disponibili.
1. My husband likes George Clooney’s latest film. He thinks it is _________ best film.
2. John and Mary are my friends. I meet ______________ at weekends.
3. Janet is 40 and I am 44. Janet is ______________ than me.
4. “Hello Mark, where are you?” “At home in London. I ___________ dinner now.”
5. Susan __________________________ her brother with homework every evening
6. I don’t like _______________________
7. The party was very interesting. ________ people from all around the world.
8. Last week we _________ to the restaurant for my birthday.
9. ___________ the e-mail yesterday?
10. “Who ________ the World Cup in 2006?” “Italy, of course!”
12. Peter is here. He ___________ .
14. He has big plans for his future. He __________________ a doctor
15. “What are your plans for next Saturday?” “I ____________________ dinner with friends”
16. When ___________________ going to move here?
17. If it ________________________ rain, we’ll have a picnic tomorrow
18. “I’m very hungry.” “___________ you a sandwich”.
19. “Are you tired? You ___________ finish the project today. The deadline is next week”.
20. She ________________ a lot of weight. She is only 50 kgs now.
21. I didn’t find him at home as he _______________ to work
22. This is the woman ________________ met yesterday at the party
23. I’m looking for the man ________ car is parked outside.
24. I __________ very active, but now I have become lazy.
25. She met John in 2000 and has been married to him ____________ 10 years
26. I would go to the gym if I ___________ more free time.
27. He’s worried because last week _______________ some bad news
29. My boss ____________________ speak during the meeting.
30. “I’ve been waiting here for ages!” “ I’m sorry, I ____________ you, but I didn’t have my mobile with me.”
31. “I saw the President this morning.” “But he’s in Germany today! You_________ seen him!”
You are going to read a magazine article about John Prince, a dancer, dance teacher and choreographer. Six sentences have been removed from the article. Choose the most suitable sentence from the following list A-G for each part (1-6) of the article. There is one extra sentence which you do not need to use.
Career success in the arts
John Prince, famous dancer and choreographer, gives advice on how to succeed in a career in the arts.
I asked John how he got started and what requirements there are. "Well, to be a professional dancer it's useful to have had acting lessons or some background in drama. If you want to succeed in musical theatre you have to have a good singing voice as well. When you approach an agent you should take a portfolio with your CV, your statistics sheet and some good photos and reviews of past performances. You'll need dance clothes, ballet shoes, tap shoes, and even roller skates depending on what kind of show you are going to go for."
"Of course, you need to be extremely fit if you want to be a professional dancer. I dance or move about for about six hours a day. There are great health benefits to being a dancer. I can eat a lot of pasta without gaining weight because dancing increases your metabolism so much."
John has a very busy schedule in the next few months. He took time out to speak to me today from the making of a pop video to promote N-ergy's latest record. "I choreographed the dance routine for the boys and they only had 2 days in which to learn it! I am going to be working on a video for another well known band - but that's top secret. Next month I'll be touring Spain in a production of a musical that was written by a friend of mine, Michaela Evans.
As for the future, I've come to realise that I would never be content to be just a chorus dancer - I'm too much of an individual for that. Like all artists I'd love to become a household name by writing and choreographing my own musicals." John was born in Jamaica to a Jamaican father and a Scottish mother but the family emigrated to England 20 years ago. "I have a little sister I adore, who is also training to be a dancer." How does it feel to have someone else following in your footsteps?
Has he much more to learn, I wondered. "I've spent an incredible amount of my life training to get where I am. I went to college for two years in England, I trained for six months in Paris and about eight months in America. But you never really stop training or learning your art."
So, would you say it's been plain sailing? "I feel I've been lucky to a degree; many people hit problems breaking into the arts. It can be a vicious circle really. You can't become a member of Equity, which is the actors' and dancers' union, without good contracts. and you can't get good contracts without being a member of Equity. My advice to people who want to get into the arts would be to go out into the world, and try everything else first.
What has a dance career done for you as a person? "Thanks to dancing, I've visited and performed in 23 countries so far. This has opened my eyes to the world, and I've been able to understand issues like racism and inequality from a wider perspective. Hopefully this has enabled me to become a better and more tolerant person as a result. "So all in all I'm really happy to be a dancer!"
(Source: official Cambridge Assessment English website, https://www.cambridgeenglish.org/exams-and-tests/first/preparation/, Paper-based sample test. All texts, names, brands, trademarks and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.)
A. It's fine, but I try not to give out too much advice as it gets irritating!
B. And if nothing you like comes out of it, then come back and be an actor or dancer.
C. Without a strict daily timetable like this you find yourself wasting too much time.
D. After that it's back to England to start a new term of dance classes.
E. When it comes to coping with stress, I find that exercise helps me to cope with my problems, so I stay in good shape mentally as well.
F. Like any profession where you're always travelling, you tend to acquire something new almost every day.
G. Being fully equipped with all this stuff beforehand makes it easier when you go for auditions.